Superfoods are one of the biggest crazes right now! They are foods that are jam packed with nutrients and give you the best bang for your buck when it comes to loading up on those nutrients.
These bad boys aren’t going anywhere like most diet trends, because there is much evidence showing many of these foods can help you fight disease, feel more energetic and even lose weight.
We're firm believers in listening to your body and eating when it is right for you. Your body knows what you need, so find a way to listen to what it is saying to you.
Rather than choosing a processed bar or downing a sugary cereal, try making a jar of chia pudding the night before, or quickly blending a smoothie to take with you on your commute.
The recipes below can be made quickly in a.m. or the night before to grab and go.
Here’s 3 quick plant based breakfast recipes that will fuel you for a workout or a full day. Packed with whole food, unprocessed ingredients that will uptake your nutrient count for the day.
Try focusing on how many nutrients you can pack in, rather counting calories.
Cacao Chia Seed Pudding
- ½ avocado
- 1 tbsps of organic raw cacao powder (superfood!)
- ¾ cup chia seeds (superfood!)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 dates
- 1 cup of water or nut milk of choice
- In small bowl, soak the chia seeds in filtered water and stir until they expand and become gelatinous- about 3 minutes.
- In separate bowl, soak the dates in filtered water for 30 minutes
- In a food processor or Vitamix, add avocado, coconut oil, honey or dates, and cacao powder. Pour in the chia seeds and their soaking water. Process or blend on high. Adjust the sweetness to taste.
- Place in mason jar or bowl in fridge overnight or for 2 hours to chill. You can eat immediately as well!
- If you want to do even less work, you can mix the chia seeds with cacao powder and nut milk and shake in a jar and leave in the fridge overnight.
Chia seeds are a superfood that are nutrient dense and packed with energy boosting power.
Chia means “strength” in the Mayan language. Aztec warriors ate chia seeds to give them energy and endurance. They are known as a “runners’ food” because runners and warriors would use them as fuel.
These little guys are super high in fiber, making it a great food for optimal digestion. Cacao is one of the most anti-oxidant and magnesium rich foods out there!
Chai Overnight Oats
- 1 banana
- 1 cup blackberries (superfood!)
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs (superfood!)
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp turmeric (superfood!)
- 1 tsp of cardamom
- ½ tsp ginger
- 2 dates
- 3 cups of nut milk of choice
- 3 tbsps of cashews, hazelnuts, or walnuts
- The night before, peel the banana and add to nut milk, dates (remove pits), turmeric, cinnamon, ground ginger, cardamom, cacao nibs to blender and blend until smooth.
- Place rolled oats in container large enough to hold all ingredients that has a lid. Pour blended ingredients over the rolled oats, mix well, and let sit overnight in the fridge.
- In the morning top with berries and nuts.
- If you want to skip the blending, you can replace the banana with 2 tbs of chia seeds, top the mixture with chopped dates or remove completely, and shake the mixture in jars instead of blending, before refrigerating.
Turmeric is one of the most powerful herbs at fighting and potentially preventing disease.
Turmeric’s active ingredient curcumin is powerfully anti-inflammatory. Athletes are turning to this herb to help reduce inflammation over aspirin because of its health benefits, anti-inflammatory properties and having no known side effects.
Protein Greens Smoothie
- 1 Banana
- 2 cups of coconut water
- 3 tbsps flax meal
- 2 cups pineapple
- ¼ cup hemp seeds (superfood!)
- 2 tbsps chia seeds (superfood!)
- 2 cups kale (superfood!)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp spirulina (superfood!)
Blend in blender on high until smooth.
20g of protein all from whole unprocessed natural foods!
Spirulina is a blue-green algae that is one of the most nutritious whole foods on the planet. It is considered a complete protein source and packed with iron making it a perfect food for anyone that is looking to cut back on animal protein.
*It’s important to make sure that the quality and purity of the spirulina that you buy is top notch. We recommend Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica in powder form.